Novel therapeutics for MLD
- Engineering approach for the treatment of metachromatic leukodystrophy
- Technology Benefits
- Novel approach for treating MLD
Demonstrated proof of concept: exceeds clearance seen in previous ERT trials by far
Lower amounts of enzyme need to be administered → to expect significantly fewer side effects compared to previous studies
- Technology Application
- metachromatic leukodystrophy treatment
- Detailed Technology Description
- The inventors have developed an engineering approach for the therapy of MLD: By exchanging three amino acids, the activity of the wildtype human ASA polypeptide could be increased approximately 5‑fold. When tested by intravenous enzyme replacement therapy (ERT) of MLD-mice, the triple mutant ASA reduced sulfatide storage in MLD mouse brain 3.4-fold more efficiently than wildtype ASA, resulting in a storage reduction of approximately 50%. Previous clinical studies have demonstrated the feasibility of enzyme compensation therapy for treating MLD.
- Type of Cooperation
- Application Date
- Application No.
- WO2018EP52790 20180205
- - international:
C12N9/16; C12Y301/06008; A61K9/009
- Patent application
- ID No.
For more information, please click Here