EVALUATING THE QUALITY AND SHELF LIFE ATTRIBUTES OF A MULTICOMPONENT MEAT PRODUCT(Part 1 &2)
- We did this project (Part 1) in Department of Animal Science, Texas A&M University, College station, TX 77843-2471.USA. For developing countries with food security issues (lack of refrigeration) vacuum packaged multicomponent intermediate moisture meat based protein bars exhibited little quality or shelf life deterioration when stored at either 25 or 50°C compared to tray wrapped oxygen permeable product. Part (2) of the research, I did it in Iraq to investigated the safety and consumer acceptability of these products,the recommended shelf life for The multicomponent meat based product would be 8 months storage at 42°C.
- Technology Benefits
- Innoviation a new product in meat prosessing . These products may provide a reasonably priced nutrient dense food for populations with less than desirable food security (lack of refrigeration). The objectives of this study were to evaluate the shelf life quality attributes of a shelf stable multicomponent meat product exposed to high temperature storage conditions.
- Technology Application
- This innoviation is very imporant in meat industry and meat prosess.
- Detailed Technology Description
- The multicomponent meat based product formulation was developed from Halal beef, dried dates, walnuts and nonmeat ingredients. Chopping and extrusion created rectangular-shaped bars with 156 ppm NaNO2 (ingoing), pH 5.0 (encapsulated citric acid) and a water activity of 0.85. Product was cooked to 70°C and chilled to 2°C prior to packaging. Product was placed in either Styrofoam trays and overwrapped with oxygen permeable film (a major packaging method in developing countries) or vacuum packaged, subjected to 25 or 50°C storage temperatures and evaluated for the following properties at day 1, 7, 14 and 28 days of storage: pH, water activity (aw), surface color (L*a*b*), thiobarbituric acid reactive substances, cooked product yield, proximate composition and Lee Kramer shear force. Oxygen permeable film used for tray wrapped product negatively impacted surface color, TBARS, percent moisture and water activity values.So In the research part (2),Product was placed only in vacuum packaged ,the recommended shelf life for the multicomponent meat based product would be 8 months storage at 42°C.
- Type of Cooperation
- Application Date
- Application No.
For more information, please click Here