Single-Inductor Multiple-Output Switching Converters in PCCM with Freewheel Switching
- Many electronic applications require multiple regulated supply voltages to cater for needs from the different function modules inside.
A new single-inductor multiple-output (SIMO) switching converter is designed to operate in pseudo-continuous conduction mode (PCCM) with free wheel switching, and can efficiently handles such needs.
Existing SIMO switching converter work either in continuous conduction mode (CCM) or discontinuous conduction mode (DCM). CCM SIMO converters suffer from cross-regulation problems and possible negative inductor current at light loads. DCM SIMO converters have large peak currents and are not suitable for large loads.
By employing freewheel switching control, this new PCCM SIMO converter can handle large stress at heavy loads with a smaller peak current while retaining low cross-regulation. It therefore solves the problems associated with previous designs. Flexibility to work in DCM at light load is also added to this design to retain high efficiency. The reliability and noise immunity of the system are thus greatly improved.
- Technology Benefits
- 1. Able to handle large load currents with a much smaller peak current while retaining low-cross regulation
2. Flexibility to work in DCM at light load
3. Minimizes the external components and improves the power capacity of SIMO converter
- Technology Application
- - Portable applications requiring multiple regulated supply voltages such as PDAs, notebook computers, system-on-chip (SDCs) for signal processing, microprocessors and so on
- Powering up embedded systems that require multiple outputs for power reduction
- Supplementary Information
- Patent Number: US7432614B2
Application Number: US2003745696A
Inventor: Ma, Dongsheng | Ki, Wing-Hung | Tsui, Chi-Ying
Priority Date: 17 Jan 2003
Priority Number: US7432614B2
Application Date: 29 Dec 2003
Publication Date: 7 Oct 2008
IPC Current: H02J000100 | H02J000300 | H02M0003158
US Class: 307031
Assignee Applicant: The Hong Kong University of Science & Technology
Title: Single-inductor multiple-output switching converters in PCCM with freewheel switching
Usefulness: Single-inductor multiple-output switching converters in PCCM with freewheel switching
Summary: Used for providing regulated output voltages for personal digital assistant (PDA), notebook computer, system-on-a-chips (SOC) for signal processing, microprocessor, power amplifier for 3G W-CDMA transceiver and ADSL.
Novelty: Single-inductor multiple-output switching converter for personal digital assistant, has switch control gating main switch when switching phase begins, where phase is time period when inductive unit experiences freewheel switching
- Sub Category
- Circuit Design
- Application Date
- 29 Dec 2003
- Application No.
- US 10/745696
- Patent Information
- US 7432614
- ID No.
- Hong Kong
For more information, please click Here