Peer-to-Peer Collaborative Streaming among Mobile Terminals流動裝置的點對點合作串流
- In traditional mobile streaming networks such as 3G cellular networks, all users pull streams from one server. Such pull model leads to high streaming cost and problem in system scalability. Nowadays, many mobile devices can connect to each other and exchange data through some free secondary wireless channels such as Wi-Fi and Bluetooth that can often be turned on simultaneously with the cellular channel. We can make use of these channels to form an ad-hoc network and share streaming data in near vicinity.
In this invention, a scalable and cost-effective protocol called COSMOS (Collaborative Streaming among Mobiles) is introduced to share multimedia data by making use of those already available secondary free channels in the mobile devices to day to form a wireless mobile network. The mobiles share their multimedia streams among their peers in near vicinity. COSMOS thus reduces greatly the telecommunication cost and cellular bandwidth requirement. Peers also enjoy low delaying streaming and the failure risk is lowered. Since broadcasting is used to distribute video data, the protocol is highly scalable to large number of users. On the other hand, by controlling the broadcast scope, the delay of the system can also be limited.
The invention can be applied in mobile streaming devices for more interaction between users.
- Technology Benefits
- 1. Telecommunication cost and cellular bandwidth requirement reduced
2. Low delaying streaming
3. Highly scalable to large number of users
4. Streaming fee can be fairly distributed
- Technology Application
- - Mobile streaming devices industry and applications
- Supplementary Information
- Patent Number: US7961694B1
Application Number: US2007754985A
Inventor: Chan, Shueng Han Gary | Leung, Man Fung | Au, Oscar Chi Lim
Priority Date: 26 May 2006
Priority Number: US7961694B1
Application Date: 29 May 2007
Publication Date: 14 Jun 2011
IPC Current: H04W000400
US Class: 370341 | 370329 | 455445
Assignee Applicant: The Hong Kong University of Science & Technology
Title: Peer-to-peer collaborative streaming among mobile terminals
Usefulness: Peer-to-peer collaborative streaming among mobile terminals
Summary: Method for collaborative streaming between multiple mobile terminals such as mobile telephone and personal digital assistant. Can also be used for portable TV, DVD player, notebook, laptop, tablet computer and desktop computer.
Novelty: Method for collaborative streaming between multiple mobile terminals e.g. mobile telephone, involves communicating terminal with another terminal, where packet containing portion is not transmitted to another terminal
- Sub Category
- Application Date
- 29 May 2007
- Application No.
- US 11/754985
- Patent Information
- US 7961694
- ID No.
- Hong Kong
For more information, please click Here