Monolithic Integration of Enhancement- and Depletion-Mode AlGaN/GaN HFETsAlGaN/GaN 增強型異質結場效應晶體管的製備
- III-nitride compound semiconductors have the merits of wide band gap, high breakdown field, and large thermal conductivity, which results in well designed AlGaN/GaN heterojunction field-effect transistors. This transistor is capable of high temperature operation, suitable for high temperature integrated circuits. In the direct-coupled FET logic (DCFL), enhancement-mode HFETs are used as the drives while the depletion-mode HFETs are used as the load. In order to implement DCFL integrated circuits, a technology for monolithic initegration of enhancement-mode and depletion-mode (E/D) HFETs is needed.
This invention discloses a method of fabricating enhancement-mode AlGaN/GaN HFETs using fluoride-based plasma treatment and post-gate annealing.
It is effective and highly reproducible for fabricating self-aligned E-mode AlGaN/GaN HFETs. With the use of fluorine ions, which have strong electronegativity, it reduces treatment or implantation induced damages while maintaining stability.
This invention can be applicable in Single supply voltage RF/microwave integrated circuits like low-noise amplifiers, oscillators, mixers, and power amplifiers as well as in GaN-based digital ICs for high temperature electronics, which are demanded by automotive and aerospace applications, chemical reactor controllers, and oil-drilling equipment, etc.
- Technology Benefits
- 1. A strictly self-aligned approach
2. No additional photolithography: cost saving
3. Additional reduction of gate leakage current: wider operating range, no need for level shifting
4. Excellent cross-sample uniformity
- Technology Application
- - Single supply voltage RF/microwave integrated circuits: low-noise amplifiers, oscillators, mixers, and
- GaN-based digital ICs for high temperature electronics, which are demanded by automotive and
aerospace applications, chemical reactor controllers, and oil-drilling equipment, etc.
- Supplementary Information
- Patent Number: US7972915B2
Application Number: US2006564780A
Inventor: Chen, Jing | Cai, Yong | Lau, Kei May
Priority Date: 29 Nov 2005
Priority Number: US7972915B2
Application Date: 29 Nov 2006
Publication Date: 5 Jul 2011
IPC Current: H01L0021338
US Class: 438174 | 257192 | 257392 | 438172
Assignee Applicant: The Hong Kong University of Science & Technology
Title: Monolithic integration of enhancement- and depletion-mode AlGaN/GaN HFETs
Usefulness: Monolithic integration of enhancement- and depletion-mode AlGaN/GaN HFETs
Summary: For fabricating a semiconductor active device.
Novelty: Fabricating a semiconductor active device, comprises patterning vertically inhomogeneous semiconductor layer to expose channel areas of first transistors, and introducing fluorine into the channel areas of the first transistors
- Sub Category
- Application Date
- 29 Nov 2006
- Application No.
- US 11/564780
- Patent Information
- US 7972915
- ID No.
- Hong Kong
For more information, please click Here