Intelligent Peer-to-Peer Media Streaming最優化對等網路拓撲構建
- Large scale multicast of video and audio materials over IP networks is becoming increasingly popular and common. These services are bandwidth intensive and normally require stringent QoS requirements. Also with millions of heterogeneous participants involved, it is a tough problem to organize the network efficiently to boost the system performance with high service quality. Although there are 3 traditional approaches for live media streaming, they are still not as good as to achieve both live and on-demand media services.
In this invention, a new framework of Peer-to-Peer system is presented for fulfilling both live and on-demand media services by streaming through end host cooperation. The invented multimedia content distribution system is of two hierarchies. This framework can build a topology with tunable parameters to achieve various objectives. For examples, it can be tuned to achieve equal capacity per degree at each peer, so that the media streams can flow smoothly across the network and at the same time achieve optimality with the spare bandwidth of each peer fully utilized. Another advantage of this system is that it can implement a hybrid approach to stream media contents with the advantage of both the tree and data-driven structures but without their drawbacks. Moreover, a decentralized mechanism can also be adopted by this system to form a location aware overlay network where peers are grouped together if they are close to each other.
This invention can be used for the distribution of multimedia contents like bulk files and live or on-demand video.
- Technology Benefits
- 1. Media streams can flow smoothly across the network to each peer
2. Media contents can be streamed with the advantages of both tree and data-driven structures but
without their drawbacks
3. Can adopt a decentralized mechanism to forma location aware overlay network
- Technology Application
- - Distribution of multimedia contents over IP networks
- Supplementary Information
- Patent Number: US8477658B2
Application Number: US2007740252A
Inventor: Tsang, Danny Hin Kwok | Luan, Hao | Kwong, Kin Wah
Priority Date: 25 Apr 2006
Priority Number: US8477658B2
Application Date: 25 Apr 2007
Publication Date: 2 Jul 2013
IPC Current: H04L001228 | H04L001246
US Class: 370255 | 370254 | 3703952 | 370408 | 709227 | 709231 | 709232 | 709252
Assignee Applicant: The Hong Kong University of Science & Technology
Title: Intelligent peer-to-peer media streaming
Usefulness: Intelligent peer-to-peer media streaming
Summary: Used in a live video streaming system for distributing a high-bandwidth content e.g. bulk file, live or on-demand audio and live or on demand video, over a peer-to-peer network.
Novelty: High-bandwidth content e.g. on demand audio, distributing method for use over peer-to-peer network, involves peer joins network, launching walker procedure which explores current network topology to find existing nodes
- Sub Category
- Application Date
- 25 Apr 2007
- Application No.
- US 11/740252
- Patent Information
- US 8477658
- ID No.
- Hong Kong
For more information, please click Here